There are a few speculations about this.
They like the taste of it, like the smell of it, they are just disgusting critters, boredom, or it’s because they are lacking something in their diet.
It is believed that dogs may eat their poo to try to stop predictors tracing them back to their inhabitants. Something that may come back to natural instincts.
As discussing as this may seem, it doesn’t necessary mean its bad for your Dog. Occasionally your Dog could pickup worms from eating it, and then passing it onto the family. Needless to say, you should make sure your dog has a proper diet also.
What the Condition Called ?
Its called coprophagia. It maybe more common than you realize. In-fact it’s very common in younger dogs. Remember your puppy doesn’t realize its so wrong in our eyes. To them, it maybe just a yummy snack between meals.
How to break the habit
Your pup/dog as it becomes more social will tend to drop the habit. If not, some things you can try are.\
- Pickup your dogs feces straight away. Don’t leave temptation lying around
- Check your dog’s diet. Make sure he/she is getting the proper nutrition. It very possible that the only reason it turns to eating its own feces is because its lacking something. Nature takes over and tells the dog “hey eat it, your missing something”
- Try removing all feces from the regular path of the dog.
- DO NOT rub your dog’s nose into it. Rather give them a stern grunt or growl and point their face towards it. This will do the job. Also when your dog poops, and walks away from it, give it lots of praise! Dogs love it, and will soon catch on.
- Occasionally the condition can be caused from boredom. So in turn, make sure you have plenty of entertainment for you dog. Eating poop for a past time could be quite depressing for both you and the dog.
- Give your dog some pineapple. They probably just wont chow down on it, best to mix it in their food. This will make their poop stink to them, and they wont want to eat it.
- If feeding them pineapple doesn’t do the trick. You can take a visit to your vet, they can supply some additives to put into your dogs food to do the same thing. Just a bit more harder on the wallet.
- Try to put large objects in your dogs food, like balls bricks.. what ever.. just to slow them down eating. You see the faster they can eat the food, the faster it will come through the digestive system, which means tastier for them.
- Once again, slow down the breaking down process in the belly. Feed more pellets rather than tin food. Processed tin food will rapidly go through their system for a tastier treat later.
I hope that these suggestion have answered some of your questions.
If you have experienced something else, or have a suggestion..Please feel free to leave a comment and share with us all.
Have a Happy Dog Day.